All Connecticut Taxicab & Livery Fleet Operators are Urged to Contact their State Senator Immediately. Ask him to “oppose HB5523 as amended by House A which is LCO #5736.”
The Senate will likely address this bill today and the session ends on May 4.
IN PERSON is best, by far.
If you can possibly go to the State Capitol Building today, let us know and a CTRideSafe representative will greet you and arrange for you to meet your Senator to give him your message. But if you cannot get to Hartford, we URGE you to call or email your Senator today. See the tools in the blue box below.
The Senators will work well into the night, so if you can’t visit now, visit, call or email as soon as you can – even well into the evening.
In case you missed our strategy update meetings in February and March, a strong team of CTRideSafe lobbyists and industry leaders, a team of 5+ at the LOB, talking with lawmakers every day for months; were confident that there would be no bill out of the Transportation Committee, this session, and that a weak Uber-drafted bill in the Insurance Committee would not either.
Instead “Insurance,” under pressure to force TNCs to “do something” passed 5523 out of committee and, like last year, a friend of Uber tucked in a last-minute amendment to lock out you and I from being able to take advantage of the TNCs hybrid insurance program.
We condenced the history here and, while we’re always available to tell you more, we need you to deliver the message below today at the absolute latest.
Your talking points…
- The amendment to 5523 (House A LCO 5736), has nothing to do with what is good for consumers. It is a blatant effort to destroy the existing taxi and livery industry in CT.
- The Office of Policy & Management urges comprehensive regulatory reform instead of HB 5523 which is piecemeal regulation at its worst.
- The bill now prohibits taxi and livery companies from using any of the cost saving measures that the TNC business model uses.
- If the TNC model is the way of the future and so good for the public, why does Uber and HB 5523 prevent taxi and livery companies from operating the same way?
- HB 5523 is an obvious effort by Uber to put CT taxi and livery companies, small businesses, out of business.
Contact /Visit information
Over and over, legislators say the single most important thing that affects their decisions is hearing from you; the people they represent. Visit or call now.
Find your State Sentator here: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp
To visit, enter through the State Legislative Office Building at 300 Capitol Avenue and follow the corridor across to the Capitol Building.
Remember to contact the Senator both for the district where your office is and that of where you live (& vote), if they are different State Senate districts.
The CTRideSafe team may be reached, by email, at:
Marshall Collins: email@example.com
Jeff “Zeke” Zyjeski: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bill Scalzi: email@example.com